A PDF copy of my resume is available here.
Lead a team of eight journalists in a coaching and editing role at The Indianapolis Star. Focus primarily on audience development, news investigations and video storytelling.
Digital Media Director September 2014 – July 2015
Managed the creation of a digital content network across Federated Media, including elkharttruth.com, flavor574.com, 953mnc.com and several other local news and content websites across the northern Indiana markets of South Bend, Elkhart County, Warsaw and Fort Wayne.
Managing Editor December 2014 – July 2015
- Led a digital-first newsroom that produced a daily newspaper, elkharttruth.com, flavor574.com, quarterly digital food magazine and three-hour radio show.
- Implemented company-wide strategy as a member of the executive team.
- Restructured newsroom to create teams focused on print, digital content and real-time content.
Digital Content Director September 2013 – December 2014
- Launched social, search and mobile initiatives, leading to 20 percent growth in traffic in first year.
- Developed new social media strategy, leading to audience growth of 160 percent on Facebook and 70 percent on Twitter in first year.
- Helped create Flavor 574 (food website and quarterly digital magazine) and Truth Radio 1340 (three-hour radio show) as niche brands supported by our newsroom.
- Oversaw implementation of a new content management system and award-winning redesign of elkharttruth.com.
- Managed the creation of a community blogs section that offers the elkharttruth.com platform to our readers.
- Built the newsroom’s first on-boarding, orientation and training program for new hires.
Associate Regional Editor February 2012 – August 2013
- Managed six editors across 10 community news websites in St. Louis.
- Trained and developed staff in content management, social media, email newsletters, search engine optimization, multimedia production and writing for the web, leading to a 15 percent increase in market penetration during first six months.
- Monitored daily metrics to identify story trends and opportunities to grow our audience.
- Oversaw multimedia and community engagement efforts across all 24 St. Louis sites.
Local Editor August 2010 – February 2012
- Launched Maplewood-Brentwood Patch, the first Patch website in St. Louis.
- Exceeded stretch traffic goals and ranked among the market leaders in traffic and engagement metrics.
- Managed Patch brand at community events, on social media and in interviews with other media.
- Supplemented personal coverage by recruiting local bloggers and hiring freelance reporters and photographers.
- Chaired an editorial committee that advised senior leadership on challenges affecting local editors.
- Directed all editorial coverage of the two communities, including local government, crime briefs, high school sports gamers, business openings, personality profiles and life stories:
- Shannon Dodson Was Loving Mother, Committed to Community (Feb. 22, 2011 – PDF)
- Wegge Vies for Brentwood Aldermanic Seat (March 21, 2011 – PDF)
- Brentwood’s Season Ends With Loss to New Bloomfield (May 25, 2011 – PDF)
- Kicker Caragher is Clutch for Brentwood Eagles (Nov. 11, 2011 – PDF)
Multimedia Intern June – August 2010
- Produced content for STLToday.com, the online destination of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch.
- Developed and assisted with interactive graphics:
- Albert Pujols’ road to 400 home runs (Aug. 26, 2010)
- Supplemented staff and wire stories with topical multimedia content:
- Connected with readers on Facebook and Twitter as a social media editor.
Multimedia Reporter August 2009 – May 2010
- Covered Columbia and Boone County government as a public life beat reporter:
- Horse riders’ hopes dashed as Columbia drops equestrian course (March 24, 2010 – PDF)
- Boone County Hoppers double dutch team gets kids moving (April 15, 2010 – PDF)
- Not all’s fair with chocolate (Feb. 11, 2010 – PDF)
- Shot photos for print and recorded video for the web.
- Researched and designed news graphics for print and the web using Adobe Illustrator:
- Wrote for The Watchword, a political watchdog blog.
- Southeast regional park plan gains approval from the Planning and Zoning Commission (April 9, 2010)
- The meaning of fair trade (Feb. 11, 2010)